2/23/10

New Directions

Our move from Marcola to Philomath happened around Dec. 1999.  The first photo is of me in my new "quilting room".  It's the first time I didn't have to sew off the dining room table and I didn't have to put my toys away after playing!!!
Another thing just crossed my mind, which I think I'll mention here.  Prior to moving from Marcola, Mike had been commuting to Corvallis for about 2 years.  So we were use to the area, had already changed Dr's because of insurance, knew the area for shopping, etc.  Not only that, Corvallis had a quilt shop.  Quiltwork Patches is where I found my 1st quilt shop teaching gig.  Jessie hired me on to teach machine quilting, and in the photo below you'll see one of my new (then) class samples that hung in the shop to advertise my class.  I loved that little quilt.  I wonder if I still have it around?  (since I drafted this post I've found it safe in storage)
I'll probably find a large number of things when I tackle the huge piles of plasic bins of stored fabric. . .  supplies, half finished projects and so forth,  in the next few weeks.  I'm sensing a renewed energy to go through things, sort, organize and eventually set up my new studio space in the new house once we decide to move in.  Now I'm just waiting for the wood floors and carpet to be installed.  Soon, very, very soon!

This quilt is all machine pieced, machine quilted, fused applique and has button embellishments!  This quilt was set to be made into a pattern and I think it's still worthy - I should put in on my list again!

This quilt was designed with a vision of my imaginary beach cottage, hanging above mantel of the painted white brick fireplace.  Fabrics were chosen based on the theme "sand and sea".  Machine pieced and machine quilted with a few seagull motifs, and real sea shells stitched onto the bottom border.  It remains in my private collection.  I still love this quilt.  Especially those aged antique blue reproduction fabrics.

One of the other cool items that I collect and have an embarrassing number of in my personal stash, is old flour sacks, feed sacks, and sugar sacks, and some misc. cotton sacks with graphics on them.  I pretty much stayed away from the florals, although a have a few of those as well.  I am always attracted to the graphic designs and the text for some reason.  One day I plan to photograph and catalog my entire collection.  One day!  Below on the left is a quilt that I designed for a friend around her favorite feed sack.  I've done a couple of these and called them "kitchen" quilts.  Karren, didn't I make this one for you???  Below on the right is the first one that I made for myself.  It's still in my private collection and as all the others, it's one of my favorites too.  The two photos below these quilts highlight the flour sack panel on the front (one of the keys to finding an approx. age to a sack is that, like this one, there's no zip code and the weight is 98lbs).
 
                    
This quilt was machine pieced and machine and hand quilted.  I chose to hand quilt the sack in the center of the quilt because it was one I really loved for it's graphics and it's aged color.  In the next photo of the back of the quilt, you can see another feed sack that all of the graphics, lettering, all except that red barn shape has dissapeared.  This type of sack often ended up being used as dishtowels or being made into aprons, or even clothing of the unmentionable type!

Here's a close up of one favorite graphic that has been replicated on many, many signs and other such memorabilia.  That pointing hand!  I love it.

The next quilt below was made as a dining room quilt for our Philomath house when we first moved in.  Somehow this quilt and myself ended up getting an interview and front page photo in the Benton Bulletin.

I think it also won a couple of ribbons, one at the Benton County Fair and one at the State Fair.




This quilt and the next quilt were both machine pieced and machine quilted.  The challenge with the one below was piecing all those little blocks and it really felt like quite the accomplishment when I'd finished that one!

The next quilt down also won some ribbons, but I can't for the life of me remember which one won what.  The joys of getting older I guess.

I think in these days I had little idea of what an "art quilt" might mean or maybe I hadn't even learned the term yet.  Probably I had admired some artistic types of quilts, but was so intimidated by my lack of artistic expression that there'd be no way that I'd ever dreamed I'd be doing and loving the stuff I drool over now.  No way.
The little quilts below measure about 12x12 or 14x14 - they're small and they were made for class samples at Jannilou's Quilt Shop in Philomath.  I had many happy years there teaching small quilt design, but mostly teaching free motion machine quilting!









Here are some happy little Christmas themed quilts.  I believe they were also class samples - - but on second thought they may have been made to sell.


Now this quilt. . . . I don't believe it's ever made it past this design board.  I think this was from a Roberta Horton Workshop at the Old Mill School but I may have to edit this once my memory comes back.


My, my - what a journey back in time this was for me.  I think this could take quiet awhile for me to journal all my past quilting memories and projects.  It's kinda like an archeological dig, unearthing little bits and pieces.  What a slow tedious process.





No comments: